Saturday, November 24, 2007

MMMMM..... Chili Verde....

Hello, this is Regan. One of the ways I judge a decent Mexican restaurant is by their chili verde. I'm kind of a sucker for the stuff. So it was with a little bit of excitement that we made our own chili verde with a recipe sent to me by a friend. It turned out SO good. Even the kids loved it - except for Zachary (who won't eat anything that doesn't look or taste like spaghetti). We had our good friend Derek come over and try some on his way out the door to meet his family at Sweet Tomatoes. He ate two burritos and was tempted for a third. (Sorry to ruin your appetite, but we needed an outside opinion.)

So here is the recipe if you would like to try it yourself. Honestly, the hardest part of it was having to wait to eat it while the smell filled the house. That, and cutting the onions. Brooke came downstairs while I was standing over a pile of freshly chopped onion that was really burning my eyes. She noted the tears running down my cheeks and called me a baby. Small price to pay for something this delicious.

CHILI VERDE
4 lb Pork Roast (my friend uses a boneless pork loin roast, I used a couple of shoulder roasts)
1 10oz can Rotel Original diced Tomatoes and Green Chili
1 10oz can Rotel Milder diced Tomatoes and Green Chili
4 4oz cans of diced green chilis
1 extra large white onion diced small
1 jalapeno chili minced (I just throw in a whole 4 oz can of diced jalapenos)
6-8 large garlic cloves minced
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
dash red pepper flakes
1/2 cup flour

Coat meat with flour and place in slow cooker (sprinkle any remaining flour on roast). Mix all remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over roast. Cook in crock pot on high 6-8 hours or on low at least 12 hours.

When Brooke took the roasts out to shred them, they literally fell apart on her. The meat was VERY tender. It was also very spicy and I was afraid it would be too hot for the kids. But shredding the meat took some of the heat out of it, and it was pretty much perfect.

Also, a note on the shoulder roasts. We get ours from the 8th Avenue Market up by LDS Hospital in Salt Lake. They call it a "Pork Cushion" and it is a family favorite no matter how it's cooked. It shreds very well and is great for pulled pork sandwiches, teriyaki, whatever.

If you give it a try, let us know what you think. Hasta luego.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Regan, I love that you are posting to the family blog as well as Brooke. I think Jason knows our blog address, and he might look at it once in a while. Kidding Jas ;) but I really do want to try this recipe out, especially after Abbie told me how good it was. It may be a few weeks, but I will let you know if it turns out.